Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Summer time Birthday!


Monday January 14th found me arriving in Esperance. I had made a booking with the hostel and they were to pick me up at the bus stop! Well the ride was uneventful. A fellow passenger saw me reading Forgotten God and we talked about how I defiantly should read Crazy Love, Francis Chan’s first book. Then we talked about how an opportunity came up for her to teach art in Australia traveling to local Art Centers, this lead to her family selling their home and joining her here! So exciting! Anyways back to my bus ride. When I did arrive in Esperance no one was there to pick me up and the hostel was too far to walk to. I spotted two young man, they seemed like the type to stay at a hostel. Their English was lacking, but through saying hostel and pointing to the hostels name on my paper one of them said yes! I said great, you will drive me there! I went with them to their car and off we were, I was hoping we were heading for the hostel, where else would we head? After a short 5 min drive we were right where I wanted to be! I Checked in, and was finally in Esperance! I think I forcefully hitch hiked this time! They didn’t have much of a choice once I was seated in their backseat!

Monday night I walked to the beach and watched as the Sun set, and walked along the pier where everyone goes fishing off. There is a lovely Seal named Sammy that hangs out under where everyone guts and cleans their fish! He dances around and fallows you as you walk up and down the pier! The sand in Esperance is baby powder soft and the waves are calm and roll in gently.



Sammy the Seal
Tuesday morning had me waking up to a Happy Birthday Text from my mom and a raging Thunder Storm! It was lovely to enjoy sitting on the front porch watching a summer thunderstorm rage while eating my breakfast! The rain poured down and the lightning and thunder clapped overhead. No need to rush to the beach! I took my time and packed my little backpack with everything I would need for my day, including my packet of Birthday Cards and letters from family to open later that day! I called my family and talked to everyone, it was lovely to chat to loved ones. Then made my way around town and settled at a Dome CafĂ© (Australia’s equivalent to Starbucks) and had myself an Iced Coffee Milkshake thing and an over sweat Rocky Road Cheese cake! Cake should always come first when it’s your birthday I think! 

For the rest of the afternoon I read my Book and listened to music while sitting at the beach, the wind was cold and I definitely appreciated my wind breaker! Not the birthday that I expected, but one that was a gift. I was given a day where I didn’t need to rush anywhere, I didn’t have a to do list, work, chores, or distractions. I was able to read and pray and listen to music for the entire afternoon while listening to the waves comes in. It was more then I could have wanted. In the evening I walked around town to find Pizza and opened my Birthday Cards as the late afternoon sun peeked out from under the clouds as it was about to set. Thank You to everyone who sent me well wishes and shared memories of us over the last 25 years. I received a few letters of encouragement and love that brought tears to my eyes! Who am I kidding, I cried a bit, sitting on a beach halfway around the world but feeling so deeply loved and blessed. Around 7pm it was time to live out every winter birthday kids dream….. I went swimming in the Southern Ocean! Growing up it was tubing and ice skating, while my sister and brother had the pool parties! It was a lovely way to live out the dream of beach life on my January Birthday! I always enjoy my birthdays and this year was not any different!
T
his morning I headed out of Esperance and am on my way to Kalgoolie, and then onto Perth tomorrow! Kalgoolie is a south western outback Mining town. Only a few days are left in Australia and then start my Journey over 5 days to Conakry Guinea. This time next week I will be in Singapore and two weeks from today I should be in the Routine of Mercy Ships! I’ve missed my stethoscope! Thank You to everyone who continues to support me by donations and prayers. It is only through you and Gods will that makes this is all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment