Friday, January 11, 2013

Margaret River


  Another day spent on the Bus! I left Perth last Sunday with a sliver of a plan, not knowing what to expect in Margaret River, anything was possible, but I was nervous and homesick as I arrived into town. It was overcast when I arrived, making walking around with my backpack bearable. I swung into the Information center and they gave me pointers about the three hostels in town, one was more of a rougher/party animal hostel and another is well maintained and clean looking! Plus it had a bus to the beach (It was here that I learned that the beach was 9km away!) I walked into Margaret River Backpackers and settled into my room, after a walk around town, and picking up groceries I met another traveler. Everyone at the hostel are on working Visas and were working in the Vineyards, Restaurants or Cleaning. The other new traveler that I met Leigh had just arrived into town too and was looking for work. Sunday was a quiet night just getting use to being on my own again. The hostel was lovely with a large outdoor deck for a common area and the kitchen was well equipped.

Hitchhiking arounf Margaret River
Monday is when all of the memorable Margaret River Adventures started. Leigh and I explored the local beach walking along the beach for 4 hours, swimming at parts, watching surfers and taking pictures as the waves smashed into the rocks! We then made our way back to town. Earlier on the Monday I was buying some chicken (it is rather pricey compared to Canada, 1 chicken thigh cost me $4!) my conversation regarding the overpriced meat and talking about Canada led to the man in the shop introducing me to one of the other Shop guys, needless to say I met a lovely local named Curt who I enjoyed a couple nights out at the pub with and a lovely drive down to Augusta Light house! (It’s the most west southern tip of Australia, where the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean collide!) I never had a true plan as to how long I was staying in Margaret River, at first it was two nights, then as I was enjoying my days with Leigh and evenings with Curt, the man from the Butcher shop, why rush out of a town that I was enjoying so quickly?!
One of the days Leigh and I headed north towards a winery and made our way to a few wineries, chocolate factory. And a nice Brewery too. We ended up meeting up with two boys who were staying in our hostel; they drove us to a few of the stops. It was so nice to see another wine region. I found the Reds different than the ones found in BC or California. I enjoyed learning about the Australian Late Harvest wines and the fortified wines. The vineyards were stunning and the day was not too hot, just perfect! We returned up to one of the vineyards the following day and popped into a Cheese shop too. We visited Cow town, and were swarmed with Flies!!! They were crawling everywhere! While making our way to nearby Gracetown the police gave us a ride. They asked us how we were planning on getting to Gracetown, we asked if it was Illegal to hitchhike, they said very much so, so Leigh said we enjoyed walking very much. They gave us a mini tour of Gracetown and dropped us off at the beach; again we watched the surfers and walked along the beach for a bit. Up in Gracetown we met a nice local who gave us a ride towards Margaret River. The locals were all so lovely and welcoming.

After both of us buying a lovely wine, and cheese we started our evening off with a beautiful cheese, nut, dried fruit and cold pizza platter! Wine and cheese should kick off every Thursday night! Ruhina would be proud of our platter! The common area was full of people and we all hung out as the sun set. Leigh and I made ourselves an amazing dinner of Crocodile (thanks :D) and salad! The Crocodile tasted as if a cross of fish/chicken. The night wore on, we tried what the locals call Goon, but really it’s just boxed wine. I feel like I was expecting a canvas sac of wine or something more rustic. We finished of the night in the kitchen eating Tim Tam Slams! (Tim Tams are great Australian cookies, and when you make yourself a hot chocolate and drink it through the Tim Tams as if it’s a straw it creates a chocolaty melty mess, YUM)

This morning found me packing my bag, and forgetting my earphones, oh well, at least they were only earphones. I headed to the bus, after saying my goodbyes and was seen off as I left town! Now we are 3 hours away from Albany and a new hostel waits and new people to meet. 

I had planned on staying for 2-3 nights but spent 5 nights in Margaret River! It was worth the change in plans! I do hope to cross paths with those I’ve met one day in the future!


Until next time! Enjoy the cold winter as I explore Albany!

No comments:

Post a Comment