Monday, January 21, 2013

Goodbye to Perth!



Back in Perth I had 3 days left to finish my exploring of the western capital. On Friday after a slow start of checking my emails and posting a couple blogs, I headed into town. I visited the Western Australia Museum. It was filled with a floor of mammals and butterflies on display, Dinosaurs and Rocks, History of the city and development of Western Australia, a floor talking about the aboriginal population and the devastating results due to government law over the last century and beyond. In addition the museum was hosting an exhibit about wedding dresses through the ages. There were dresses from the 1840’s to present. The tour was informative and I enjoyed the array of styles and evolution of the wedding dress fashion. 

After leaving the museum I wondered to another part of downtown and sat on a bench while watching street performers dance, a food festival set up, and people passing by. The downtown area is a mix of people, business workers leaving the office, tourists bumping into people and kids hanging out. I made my way via bus back to the Littler’s house and we headed out to a wonderful Japanese restaurant for dinner. It was a great way to spend a Friday. 

Saturday was even better! I started the day of early and made my way to Fremantel, while I was passing through Perth I found that even at 10am the city was quiet still! Only a few shops were open and the sidewalks were empty. Perth is a small city and is more on the quiet side. Once I arrived into Fremantel I walked through the shops and the market looking for just the right things to buy. I was in desperate need for flip flops since I walked my way through the pair that I brought! After I was done shopping I raced to the post office and arrived 5 min before it closed! I posted my souvenirs and gifts back to Canada. Then it was off to Little Creatures for my last pint of White Rabbit Dark Ale! I watched the boats come and go as I sat under the shade of an umbrella. From there I headed to the beach to enjoy one last afternoon sitting in brown sugar sand and swimming in the surf! From the beach I headed up to Kings Park (Perth’s version of Stanley Park) for a picnic with the Littler family overlooking the town!

Sunday was filled with packing and printing off documents and of course more meals with the family. As I headed for bed I said goodnight to my amazing Hosts! It was so great staying with them! Much appreciated and thank you once again to the Littler family!  Sunday night was fast and I left for my flight at 415am. But only after a nasty cockroach fell in my hair when I opened the door!!

 Goodbye Australia! 

Things I’ll miss are:
-going shopping with no shoes on!
-hitchhiking
-beautiful clean beaches and a warm ocean
-summer time birthday
-and Kangaroos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment