Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Stepping on the Motherland for the first time!


On Friday I left my hostel after dinner time and headed to the airport, the Singapore airport was lovely. From there I took the 14 hour flight to London. The plane was half full! I ended up having 3 seats to stretch out on and managed to get a couple hours of sleep! 

Upon arriving in London at 445am I retrieved by bags and stood in line for customs and preceded to my hotel. (Thank you once again to Bruce and Janet for the wonderful Birthday Present, my hotel was at the Airport for easy departure the following day! a much better plan then sleeping on a bench at the airport) I was only expecting to drop off my back pack as I was 9 hour early for check in, but imagine my delight when they said they had my room already available and I was lying in bed with a cup of tea watching the BBC by 545 am! It was a chilly 3 C in London and I had minimal winter clothing. I even left my scarf (my favorite beloved scarf that my brother gave me 4 years ago, the gray one that seems to be attached to me all winter!) on the plane! I layered my cloths and headed for The Tube (London Underground).


I refused to buy a map when I figured I would find a free one somewhere in town so I asked for an all day tube ticket and headed into the city. I got off at Paddington station. Walked through Kensington Park and Hyde Park then made my way to Marble Arch. From there a sly bus driver for the hop on hop off buss lured my onto his bus, I was cold and the bus was warm and I was not inclined to buy a ticket so he let me ride for free! We went around and up to Notting Hill and passed Regent Park. From there I made my way via the Tube to the site I was most looking forward to seeing….. Big Ben!

The streets were flooded with tourists, should to shoulder. In this area I saw Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abby and I think the Law courts are right there too. By this point it was 130pm and I had not eaten since the plane ride at 3am! I made my way into a little pub and had myself a sandwich and a pint of London Port (a great local dark rich beer) while I planned out the rest of my afternoon. From there I walked over to Buckingham Palace, the Queen was in, since the flag was flying!

I walked down the Mall! And through St James Park. From there I hopped back onto the Tube and went to The Tower of London, and Tower Bridge. The river Thames was busy with people walking up and down on either side. Again I jumped back onto the Tube and made my way to Oxford rd (another Giant shopping district) and made my last couple purchases before leaving for Africa. From there it was back on the Tube and over towards Trafalgar Square. (I ended up turning the wrong way and saw Eros Statue instead). Then I walked to a lovely London Pub that only the locals know about called Lamb & Flag. It was down an alley, and then down a short narrow walkway! At 430pm the Pub was already bursting out onto the streets, so I just headed back to the hotel. I walked through the theater district as people walked past in suits, and dresses heading to a show! I jumped back onto the Tube and headed back to the airport! 
After an hour’s ride I was at last back at the Hotel, Packed what was needed to pack, and ordered room service while watching some TV before heading to sleep. I feel that I have seen a lot of London, but after a 14 hour overnight flight one tends to get tired of 7 hours of walking around a city! Next time when I am in London I hope to do a tour of The Tower of London and see other sites around town! I was exhausted at the end of my day. It exhausts me now just typing it!

 
As the end of my traveling around drew to an end I was very much looking forward to arriving on the ship and settling in to a cabin. Being able to unpack and have a routine! On the flight to London I was hit by the overwhelming feeling that this is where I needed to be, I needed to be on a plane heading towards Guinea. The peace, love and encouragement I felt was overwhelming. Fear, doubt and uncertainty are feelings I have not felt in preparation for this trip. I know some of you reading this may have felt these things, but I have felt nothing but peace about it. This is where I feel I have been directed to come to at this time. When applying they ask that nurses have 2 years of experience, and I only have 18 months (yes they know this, I asked them three separate times to make sure they knew this) and still I was accepted to come. I was told they didn’t have any nursing vacancies until the middle of March but then my acceptance came it was for January to May. All of this is not the doing of myself. It is nothing I can boast about. This is something that God has made possible and has directed me towards at this point in my life. I was so excited that Saturday night going to sleep in the hotel, knowing that the following day I would be heading back into Africa, but this time as a missionary health care worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment